Carpenter Ants Removal in Toronto
Do you think you might be having a Carpenter Ant infestation? Carpenter Ants are some of the biggest ants in North America. They have a painful bite and can cause a lot of damage to wooden structures. Dealing with these critters can be bothersome, and this article will help if you’re looking for Ants Pest Control. Toronto can be particularly affected by Carpenter Ant infestation due to wooded areas nearby and the presence of ornamental trees.
How to identify the Carpenter Ants infestation?
The ability to identify carpenter ants and tell if they are different from other species is the first step to knowing if you have an infestation or not.
The different ways to identify them are –
- See Their Color – These ants most often have black or brown coloration.
- Note Their Size – Soldier ants might be ½” long. Workers are often ¼” long.
- Check For Rounded Thorax – The thorax is the middle segment of an ant, between its head and abdomen. Carpenter Ants have a rounded thorax, and their upper surfaces are evenly rounded.
- Check The Waist And Antenna – The waist or midsection of Carpenter Ants has a pinched or slim look. Their antennas are bent. These features help distinguish them from termites that have broad waists and straight antenna.
- Check For Frass – Carpenter Ants leave wood shavings, which look like pencil shavings, near the areas they infest. They do not consume wood but rather burrow into it. Frass has a mixture of dead ants, parts of insects, and sawdust. The sawdust is fibrous, and not six-sided in shape like dry wood termite pellets.
- Tap Your Walls – Tapping your wall can disturb the nest of the ants and cause them to get agitated. This action will allow you to hear them and make out the infestation.
The Life-Cycle of Carpenter Ants
Understanding the life-cycle of carpenter can help prevent the pests from taking a hold on your property. The life-cycle can be seen in terms of behavior, habitat, diet, and reproduction.
- Behavior – The ants come inside houses looking for places to build their nests. They are attracted to moisture and can often be found in bathrooms. Indoor nests are usually signs that there is a more massive central nest outdoors that needs to be eliminated.
- Habitat – Carpenter Ants burrow into moist wood and can live in places like trees, both dead and alive, wood stocks, and landscaping resources.
- Diet – Carpenter Ants eat material such as insects that are both dead and alive. They also forage for flower nectar, juices of fruits, and sweet honeydew that some insects excrete.
- Reproduction – Passenger ants that are in the reproductive phase are winged. They abandon nests and perform mating flights in springtime. Males die after the flight, and the queens look for nests in wooded areas where they dig out resting places and lay their eggs. The growth of a colony is slow, and it can take many years to complete a cycle and begin the reproductive phase again.
How To Understand How Serious The Infestation Is
You can tell the severity of a Carpenter ant infestation by the amount of damage it causes to property. Although the ants don’t eat wood as termites do, they excavate wood and create their nesting places. Such nests can often damage the structural integrity of a building. Doors, windows, insulation, and such areas often have woodpiles near them with Frass. Inspection can tell if the damage is severe, and big colonies have sprawling tunneled systems. Carpenter ants polish the wood and make it look smooth inside, and holes in the wood can be found. Infestations can sometimes be heard by gently tapping the structure.
A Few Tips To Prevent Carpenter Ant Infestation
- Branches and bushes near your building should be trimmed to prevent access
- Places through which ants can enter the structure, such as utility lines, should be well sealed.
- Mulch is particularly attractive to ants. If possible, you should reduce it to three inches around the building limits.
- If possible, structural wooden elements should not have contact with the earth.
- Damaged wooden elements should be repaired. Wood should not be allowed to remain in a moist or decayed state.
- Increasing ventilation or sunlight to usually damp areas such as attics or basements can help.
- Food sources inside the building can be removed. Ants are attracted to sweet things.
Pestisect aims to offer the Best Carpenter Ants Exterminator Toronto services that eliminates adverse health issues, diseases and irritation consequences and dissatisfaction amongst work employees, these reactions and consequences may be controlled by regular usage of powders or aerosols that are easily accessible from local markets however Pestisect is a leading name in insect control that offers the best ant pest control Toronto to eliminate and prevent infestation. The ants carry problems and infestation effects that may become deadly and dangerous in case of disease infliction.